ADSM-L

Re: Oracle Raw Partitions

1996-06-11 16:46:13
Subject: Re: Oracle Raw Partitions
From: Donna Gorday <Donna.Gorday AT UALBERTA DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:46:13 -0600
Yes, I had heard their were some changes in the US laws that
may allow us to get the encryption code. I have asked them to
look in to this possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.
>Howdy Donna...
>
>I noticed your posting about encryption and US laws.  Hopefully that
>will change in the near future.  Nevertheless, I am under the
>impression that the US law forbidding export of encryption technology
>as "munitions" does allow exportation to Canada (for example, PGP is
>distributed from two separately maintained code trees, one developed
>in the US for the US and Canada, and the other in Europe for the rest
>of the world).  I suppose one would have to talk to a lawyer about
>this, but perhaps you should check out an appropriate Usenet newsgroup
>and then appraoch the SQL-BackTrack people armed with that info.
>
>Cheers...
>> We are still looking at the product, the problem is we want to have
>> encryption piece as well but there seems to some exportation law
>> that may not allow us Canadians to have the technology.
>

>--
>Bruce M. Elrick           bruce AT mainland.ab DOT ca   Phone: (403) 266-6611
>Unix Technical Consultant                          Fax: (403) 266-6633
>Mainland Information Systems, Ltd.           Toll-free: 1-800-565-1127

Donna Gorday                              Acting Service Operations Manager
240C General Service Building                            University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1           phone (403) 492-3343
FAX (403) 492-1729                  E-mail: Donna.Gorday AT ualberta DOT ca