ADSM-L

Re: Redirect ADSM Output

1996-06-12 18:42:20
Subject: Re: Redirect ADSM Output
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 15:42:20 PDT
Jose Hernandez asks:

>     Maybe someone out there has done this. I want to issue an ADSM command
>     on my MVS console and have the output redirected to a dataset. Any
>     idea's

Wow, this is a popular topic today!

If you saw my earlier posts today about Admin schedules and macros, this is all
kind of related, I believe.

I'm not the developer, so I may be off slightly on the actual technical bits
here. But I believe that the gist of this issue is that the ADSM console can't
handle file/data set names, which is why you can't redirect output issued
from the server console.

Likewise (getting back to today's earlier discussions), this is also why:

   - You can't redirect the output of a scheduled Admin command, and
   - You can't use the Admin scheduler to schedule a macro.

The actual redirection of output and parsing of macro files is handled by the
admin code you are running (dsmadmc), not the ADSM server proper. But Admin
schedules, and commands entered from the ADSM server console, are handled by
the ADSM server (not dsmadmc). Since the server can't deal with files in this
manner, it can't redirect output, and it can't read macro files.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support