ADSM-L

Re: Macro & Schedule

1996-06-12 12:36:08
Subject: Re: Macro & Schedule
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:36:08 PDT
Daniel Gerlic asks:

>Is it possible to schedule a macro for ADMINISTRATIVE commands ??
>
>I don't see anything like this in the documentation (although
>scheduling a macro for client commands does exist!).
>I tried, but couldn't.
>
>My aim is to make periodic backups of the storage pools and of the
>datebase. Writing and scheduling macros could help.

No, you can not use the Admin scheduler to schedule a macro. Please see
my post from earlier this morning on there, as I suggested a potential
workaround to scheduling admin macros.

IMPORTANT CAVEAT: I do not recommend trying to use macros to schedule
backup of your storage pools and database. I would suggest executing
these functions in the following order:

   1) Back up you storage pools
   2) Update the volumes to change the access to OFFSITE for your
      newly-created copy storage pool volumes
   3) Back up your database
   4) Back up your devconfig and volume history files (external to
      ADSM)

These functions should run in sequence, not concurrently. If you tried to
pack all of this in with your macro (excluding #4, which is external to
ADSM), you'd have all the processes in #1 - 3 running at the same time.
This is incorrect. So macros aren't the solution, anyway.

I recommend you monitor the time it takes for these activities to run
and schedule them accordingly, adding a little spare time between events
(i.e. the "fudge factor").

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support