ADSM-L

Re: Charging Clients For ADSM Services?

1996-06-04 17:36:46
Subject: Re: Charging Clients For ADSM Services?
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:36:46 -0500
     There are TONS of considerations for billing.... network, adsm server
     cpu, dasd, ATL & tapes... Flat rates just seem to result in a client
     saying "I NEED EVERYTHING BACKED UP TO INFINITE NUMBER OF COPIES
     FOREVER !"  I used to get mad over arguments concerning computing
     funny money but have changed my mind after being in an environment
     where the end user will work harder to get someone else to do
     something rather than do it themselves... (sigh) BUT....

     Two very nice options of ADSM :
     1) Q FILESPACE   gives you node names, filespace name, op sys,
     filespace type, capacity, %util....
     Use this for capacity planning for your ADSM server.... and/or billing
     based on MB filespace protected....
     2) Q OCC         gives you node name, filespace name, storage pool
     name, number of files, and space occupied.
     With all our different environments for different functions having
     different requirements I feel the best billing is based on
     A) base rate to cover the client license
        (you could even toss in x amount of free MB covered...)
     B) $ / MB / storage medium
     Then as special requirements come in from specific clients that say
     "Got some IRS related data that needs a 15 year keep..."   or
     "My DB requires daily full bkups & keep 100 days worth..."
     You can say "No problem...it will cost you X$/day/MB I keep your data"
     So if you took Q OCC daily, you could generate an average daily
     occupancy (MB) per medium, multiply by cost/MB for that medium,
     multiply by days in the current month, sum $ for diff medium and
     presto ! Suddenly the clients no longer need a million copies of word
     processor auto save files.... ;-)
     Hey, credit card companies charge interest based on average daily
     balances... so you know that must be the best way to rake in money...
     $ / MB / Medium   ==> cost per MB per storage medium...
     when calculating this don't forget... Processor cost, dasd cost, ATL
     cost, tape cost, administration cost, maintenance cost, power
     consumption costs.... Ah, just get a bean counter to work on that... \

     PS if they don't like the floating monthly cost and want a flat
     rate... then use the Q FILESPACE to find out the max they could have,
     multiply by copies they want, and work that to pay for your equipment
     and people....
     Fair either way, (to all)
     later
          Dwight