ADSM-L

Full restore of Solaris client

1996-06-04 13:48:00
Subject: Full restore of Solaris client
From: "Macuzzi, Roland" <macuro AT EDC3.EDC DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:48:00 EDT
Hello:

Has anybody had the pleasure of performing a complete
restore (from the ground up) of a Solaris 2.4 client using ADSM?

This is my first time, and in the middle of trying to restore
this client I keep blowing out of the water, ie trying to
restore filesystems like "/" and "/usr" etc... and then
get errors which basically render my system unusable!

I've tried commands like:

DSMC RESTORE -SUBDIR=YES -IFNEWER -REPLACE=YES /usr

with variations of -REPLACE=PROMPT and -REPLACE=ALL, etc....

This concerns me alot because I need to develop detailed
procedures for a disaster recovery plan for a "hot/warm-site",
where we may need to rebuild servers from scratch and/or
recover onto "pre-staged" servers where the O/S and
patches are pre-loaded and able to communicate on a LAN.

I am just in the middle of reloading my O/S (for the 3rd time!)
and installing the install patch cluster, T/R software
(we're on a Token Ring LAN) and ADSM client....

I'm just looking for any words of wisdom or "good safety tips"
for doing full server restores...

Some Background Info:
     ADSM server: RS/6000, AIX 4.1.4, running ADSM 2.1.5.6
     ADSM Client: SPARC 2, Solaris 2.4 H/W 3/95, ADSM 2.1.0.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Roland Macuzzi
macuro AT edc3.edc DOT ca