ADSM-L

VSAM backup

1996-06-03 17:25:23
Subject: VSAM backup
From: "David E. Bohm" <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 14:25:23 MST
Hello:

Do not rely on backups taken of the ADSM data base while ADSM is up
unless the backup is taken with the ADSM BACKUP DB (or DUMPDB) command.
Although it is possible to take backup by full volume dumps or ignoring
enqueue failures it is very likely that ADSM will not be able to use
the data base and recovery log volumes that are backed up this way.

ADSM keeps information in each of these files that indicate when then
were last updated.  This must match on each of the volumes otherwise
the ADSM server will not be able to start from that set of volumes.  Since
you have no way to quiesce data base activity you can not guarantee that
data is not being written to disk.  Even when it appears that there is
no ADSM activity you can not control when the flushing of dirty pages
occurs.

I have two suggestions:

1 - If you have DFSMSdss and the hardware for concurrent copy I would
    halt the server long enough to establish the concurrent copy session
    and then restart the ADSM server.

2 - My second suggestion would be to use the BACKUP DB command to a devclass
    of FILE and then do you backup of the data base backup image.  For the
    storage pool volumes it does not hurt as much to take these while the
    server is running, you just need to run audit volume after performing
    a restore.  The enqueue should be released from these volumes by doing
    a vary offline command.

Although data base and recovery log volumes can also be varied offline you
need to get them all at one time and I do not know what will happen if you
try to vary them all offline at the same time.  I do not recommend trying it.

Regards - David Bohm, ADSM technical support