ADSM-L

Fw: DB usage for copy stgpools

1996-06-01 19:22:59
Subject: Fw: DB usage for copy stgpools
From: Andrew Mark Raibeck <ARaibeck AT WORLDNET.ATT DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 16:22:59 -0700
Mike Stewart asks:

> I've recently migrated to Version 2 of the ADSM Server,
> and am now preparing to implement a copy storage pool.
>
> How much additional database space does a copy storage pool
> require?  Lets say I keep a copy of all the files.
> Does that database space usage double because now I have
> twice as many files as before?  The few tests that I've
> run don't seem to be that bad, but I didn't see anything
> in an (admittedly rather quick) search of the ADSM
> V2 manuals.

I found this in the ADSM/MVS Administrator's Guide, Chapter 4, "Allocating
Space for the Database and Recovery Log":

     If you back up primary storage pools to copy storage pools,
     the database requires additional space.  The database
     requires a small amount of overhead space and about 200
     bytes for each file copy in a copy storage pool.

You can roughly determine the number of files in your existing pools by
examining the output from the QUERY AUDITOCCUPANCY command and summing up
number of files listed per node per storage pool. A script or program of
some kind might be useful for this. I wrote a REXX program called OSUMMARY
that can read the output from QUERY OCCUPANCY. It might need some touching
up to handle the QUERY AUDITOCCUPANCY output, and/or if the format of the
output has changed since I wrote the utility. If you're interested, it's
on the FTP anonymous server index.storsys.ibm.com in the /adsm/nosuppt.
The file name is 'amrtools.exe' and it is a self-extracting DOS
executable. It also includes several other little utilities I created.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that I created these while I was at Connecticut
Mutual. They are available on the anonymous server "as is". That means I
am not responsible for any problems resulting from the use of the
utilities, or for providing any upgrades; neither is Connecticut Mutual,
MassMutual, nor IBM.

But hey, I'm open to suggestions!   :-)

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support