ADSM-L

3590 media defect

1996-05-22 10:26:38
Subject: 3590 media defect
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:26:38 +0200
Hello,

after encountering hardware problems with one of our 3590 drives, which
now is repaired, we now have a defective 3590 tape. Space reclamation and
MOVE DATA yield I/O errors on the tape. I started an AUDIT VOLUME,
in the hope, that the files lying in the defective area are deleted from the
database and I can move away the rest afterwards.

I now see, that the AUDIT VOLUME needs about 2 minutes to detect and delete
a damaged file. There are more than 79000 files left to audit.

Why does it take so long? Is it the error recovery of the device? I once
did an AUDIT VOLUME on a 3490E tape, which worked fine.

Is there any hope, that the AUDIT VOLUME will pass the damaged area of the
tape? If it will result in deleting all the remaining 79000 files, I would
rather cancel the process and delete the total volume.

Are there any hints, what I can do?

What does IBM suggest on dealing with a damaged 3590 tape? Do not tell me,
to use copy storage pools; 3590 tapes are so secure, that I use copy
storage pools for archives only, not for backups ;)

Oh, the ADSM server is 2.1.0.7 on AIX 3.2.5.

-----
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488