ADSM-L

Re: Notification of Success/Failed Backup

1996-05-21 12:08:37
Subject: Re: Notification of Success/Failed Backup
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 11:08:37 -0500
     You can also look at the DSMSCHED.LOG found in the ADSM directory...
     it should show all the files inspected and transfered and the last few
     lines will be statistics/summary info...(this is on the client)
     Back on the server I use same as below... q event * *
     later
          Dwight

Author:  ADSM-L at unix,sh/dd.RFC-822=ADSM-L\@VM\.MARIST\.EDU
Date:    5/17/96 5:52 PM

On Fri, 17 May 1996 09:09:48 +0100 Bryan King said:
>How is everyone else checking for successful completion of
>backups?  Do you use the acccounting file, the date and time of
>the filespace backup, or ????

We use a combination of Query Event and Query Filespace.

If Query Event shows a successful completion, then we assume that the
backup is good.  If Query Event does not show a successful completion,
then we resort to the Query Filespace.  This catches some folks who run
backups manually.  It's not perfect in that it does not handle a situation
where someone has a filespace backed up to the ADSM server which they are
no longer actively backing up (i.e., an obsolete volume).