ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-L Digest - 2 May 1996 to 3 May 1996

1996-05-14 17:01:44
Subject: Re: ADSM-L Digest - 2 May 1996 to 3 May 1996
From: Chuck Tomlinson 793-0730 <chuckt AT AUSTIN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:01:44 -0500
Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  writes:
> > Many times I have come accross instances where the reports
> > that can be generated using the admin client cannot be generated
> > from the command line utilities.
> >
> > For instance, from the command line the "query filspace" command
> > does not represent the details that I require.  Upon issuing a
> > "query filespace format=detailed" changes the format - it is no
> > longer in columnar format, it is now going down the page.  What
> > I want to do is generate the report available from the admin
> > GUI interface on a scheduled basis and mail the results to the
> > users that are affected (IE: drive utilization, date of last
> > backup, etc).  The file produced from the GUI interface is
> > ideal:  one line (record) per node, and a fixed length of 520
> > bytes.  How can I do this via the command line?
> ....[other part of note deleted]....
>
> Bryan -
>
> When you issue the Q filespace f=d command, have it spool to disk.
>
>      Q filspace f=d > filspace.txtQ
>
> filspace.txt (or what ever name you wish to use) will be created in the ADSM
> directory on the machine you issued the admin command from.  The format of the
> report will be line oriented (instead of column oriented as you described),
> and is suitable for printing (although the line length exceed the 132 colums),
> or for use as input into a program or REXX Exec.
>
>Jerry Lawson
>jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

What I have found is that in the ascii admin client (adsmadmc) the format of
the output it directly tied to the width of your window.  When you run the
above
command 'Q filspace f=d > filspace.txt'  are piping to a file it appears that
the width is unlimited thus one line per entry.  From the command line
'dsmadmc -id=xxx -password=xxx q filspace f=d', it appears that the width is
set to 80 columns.  In playing I have ran the ascii client in a window and
sized the window different sizes and the report format would change.

Now having said all that I guess you could try using a scheduled command in
adsm to run the command and redirect/pipe the output to a file.

Hope this helps;
Chuck T.