ADSM-L

Re: Setup of Tape storage pool in AIX

1996-05-14 11:51:21
Subject: Re: Setup of Tape storage pool in AIX
From: Derek Figueira <dfigueir AT ACS.RYERSON DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 11:51:21 -0400
On Tue, 14 May 1996, Richards John wrote:

> According to the manual, the device name needs to be /dev/mt0, not /dev/rmt0
> Can someone enlighten me as to how to accomplish this.
> So far I have created a block device using mknod and using the the same
> major and minor
> numbers as the character device but ADSM will not recognize this as a valid
> device.

Sounds like the same difficulty I ran into recently on AIX:

If your trying to define an 8mm Tape Drive, do the following:

a) From the UNIX prompt type: "lsdev -Cc tape"
        You should see some similar output:
        "rmto Available 00-00-0S-50  5.0 8mm Tape Drive"

b) "smitty"
     - Devices
       - ADSM Devices
         - Tape Drive
           - Add a Tape Drive
             . "ASDM-SCSI-MT scsi N/A"
                (Press Enter)
             . "scsi0 Available 00-00-0S Standard SCSI I/O Controller"
                (Press Enter)
             . "CONNECTION address"
                (Use the last two SCSI digits from the output in step (A)
                 Eg: 50)

c) Quit "smitty"

d) login to ADSM at the UNIX prompt. (dsmadmc)

e) Type and enter:
   "define library YOURLIBRARYNAME libtype=manual"
   "define drive YOURLIBRARYNAME YOURTAPEDRIVENAME device=/dev/mt0"

f) Then go on to define the "devclass" "stgpool" etc. thats outlined in the
   install guide...

   NOTICE that I specified "/dev/mt0" and not "/dev/rmt0" !

   This woked for me. Hope you have similar luck...Derek.