ADSM-L

Re: Tape usage

1996-05-14 03:53:59
Subject: Re: Tape usage
From: Roger Hohmann <101574.1736 AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 03:53:59 EDT
Christian Moser asked:

>     Hi,

>     two SAP R/3 BACKINT nodes a running backups at the same time to our
>     ADSM MVS server. Both are going with many parallel sessions to the
>     same STGP hierarchy with collocation on for tape volumes. Many of the
>     files in the parallel sessions are bigger than maxsize for disk.
>
>     Logically two mounts occur, one for each node, many sessions are
>     waiting for the tape volumes in use by the two sessions.
>
>     BUT after about half of an hour ADSM decides to mount additional 5
>     tapes (mountlimit=7) and starts real parallel processing for these two
>     nodes. ITS GREAT, BUT WHAT TRIGGERS THIS BOOST?

The parallel usage of tape drives seems to be affected by the collocation
parameter
of the affected Storage Group (or whereever you can set the 'collocation'
parameter).

We are directing our backint direct to tape, and with collocation=yes we had
only one
mount  at a time, independent of 'session parameters' of backint. With
'collocation=no' our problems were solved.

But I don't have an explanation for the BOOST.

bye

Roger

Roger Hohmann
MAN Gutehoffnungshutte AG / MVS Support