ADSM-L

Re: Win95 scheduler

1996-05-13 18:43:42
Subject: Re: Win95 scheduler
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 17:43:42 -0500
(Debbie asked about installing the Scheduler for Win95 ADSM client .. wts)

I was disappointed when (a) the install software didn't offer to
install the Scheduler component and (b) the README file was a total
waste of time because it dealt with WinNT issues and not Win95.

I don't know the 1st thing about Win95, but in stumbling around I
found these several procedures useful (maybe a Win95 expert can give
us the true and easy methods, and tell us why IBM/ADSM failed to
provide any scheduler help).

1. When given a choice of software to install, uncheck "Administrative
   Client" and "Application Programming Interface".  Commentary: These
   are unnecessary for 99% of all installs; IBM should have a different
   default. :(

2. (Commentary) For those of us that would like to redistribute within
   our organizations, the ability to provide our own DSM.OPT file, rather
   than the monstrousity ADSM gives us, would be great.  I'd also like to
   remove the message "Be sure to send in the registration information for
   the new ADSTAR software product".  What registration information?  If
   IBM must have this, they should provide their own 800#. What a waste
   of my time answering questions about this (and unnecessary client worry)!

3. If when you start "ADSM Backup" from the ADSM32 folder, you see the
   message "(Drive has No Label)", you have a local drive without a label.
   ADSM will not backup this drive until you label it.  To add a label:

   a. Start "My Computer".

   b. Click "C:" once (or whichever drive is not labeled).

   c. Click with *right* mouse button, then click "Properties".

   d. Type a label value, such as your name, but different from other
      disks on your system.  Click "OK".

   Commentary: Maybe ADSM install should offer to label the disk(s) or
   at least warn the client about the "no label problem"?

4. Tailor the Client Options (Preferences) file:

   If you don't edit the DSM.OPT file at install-time or you wish to
   edit it later ...

   a. Click "Start", "Programs", "ADSM32", "Client Options".

   b. You are now editing the DSM.OPT file. Make your changes and save.

5. Enable the ADSM Scheduler to run whenever you start your Win95 machine:

   a. Click "Start", "Settings", "Taskbar".

   b. TAB to "Start menu Options".

   c. Click "Add".

   d. Browse until you find "dsmc" in the ADSM32 folder. Click "Open".

   e. Click on the (hilighted) "command line" data.  Hit END to
      remove the hilighting and move the cursor to after "dsmc.exe".

   f. Add " SCHEDULE -PASSWORD=xxxxxx", where xxxxxx is your ADSM
      password.  If you don't want your password stored in clear-text here,
      just add " SCHEDULE"; you will be prompted for your password each time
      you start your machine.

   g. Click "Next".  Under "Select Program Folder", click "StartUp"
      (not Start) and then click "Next".

   h. Under "Select a Title for short-cut", change the default "DSMC" to
      "ADSM Scheduler" (or whatever you want). Click "OK".

   Note that the Scheduler will start the next time the machine is
   started.  To start the Scheduler now, click "Start", "Programs",
   "StartUp", "ADSM Scheduler".

Hope this helps ..

Wayne T. Smith               internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
Systems Group -- CAPS        University of Maine System