ADSM-L

sparse files

1996-05-09 16:44:01
Subject: sparse files
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:44:01 EDT
On Thu, 9 May 1996 11:56:05 -0500 Joe Gross said:
>This can be important if you accidently back up your kerberos srvtab
>file or any other machine-specific authentication information that
>shouldn't leave the machine.

Speaking of kerberos, has anyone else noticed that ADSM does not handle
large sparse files (such as the kerberos database) very well?  Our
database is fairly small according to the 'du' command, but is very
large according to the 'ls -l' command.  Unfortunately, ADSM uses the
'ls -l' number in handling the file.  This has two problems, one fatal:

1) The file will always get backed up to tape, since ADSM believes it is
   too large to fit on our disk storage pool, and
2) ADSM cannot restore this file because it believes that there is not
   enough disk space available, even though there really is.

We run our kerberos server on an AIX platform, so this applies to ADSM
running on AIX.

..Paul