ADSM-L

Events still running beyond window

2015-10-04 18:15:42
Subject: Events still running beyond window
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 5/9/96 11:51AM
Duration only applies to the size of the window for the initiation of the
schedule.  Scheduled events are not terminated at the end of the window - they
are allowed to complete.  I have had one backup in my own shop that ran so
long on the first backup, that it actually missed the window on the next day
(ran 27 hours).  The only time this really becomes and issue is if the session
is interrupted after the window has closed, but the scheduled event is not
complete.  The client will attempt to reestablish the session, and when it
does, will not begin to back up again, but rather work to randomize for the
next time the window opens.

I have servers that always take a long time to back up - we start them early,
with a window that is small, so that we can pretty much guarantee the start
time.  The window closes, but the backup runs on for several hours.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com