ADSM-L

Reply to Re: ADSM Reporting C

1996-05-08 09:47:00
Subject: Reply to Re: ADSM Reporting C
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 07:47:00 -06
>From:         "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp,US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
>Subject:      Re: ADSM Reporting Capabilities
>To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to have an option to have
reports generated in a generic database or spreadsheet format such as
CSV which could then be imported into a spreadsheet, etc.  ??

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com

*** Comments From: STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 05/08/96 07:25am
Yes!!

I think this is what has been been requested for several years.
Output which is suitable for importing into a database,
spreadsheet, or other local reporting without having
to read and edit a report whose format may change with every
APAR/client change.

The data should be one line/per item (currently even the
columnar format has date/time stamps on multiple lines),
and you should be spit out the data without headers so you
don't have to edit out non-data.

It would be nice to be able to put a delimiter around
character strings, such as drive names.  Some fields which
have blanks are difficult to import without either editing
out blanks or putting in delimiters.   (ie, should be able
to have:
node1   mac drive a    1000.0
output as
"node1"  "mac drive a" 1000.0

A number of other IBM products support unloading their
data for importing into databases or for local reporting.
(See RACF, for example.)

I don't expect ADSM to ever produce all the reports
I want now, or will want in the future.  Trend reporting,
for example.  But the current process of trying to read
a redirected screen-formatted report is clumsy and high
maintenance.

Adding a "-file" option which produces the same results as
redirecting the output (if that's what is is going to do)
doesn't really satisfy any of my requirements.