ADSM-L

management class usage

1996-05-03 09:55:11
Subject: management class usage
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 09:55:11 -0400
Date:     May 3, 1996            Time:    09:00
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
Interesting what you find in your activity log on the server.  I found the
Interesting what you find in your activity log on the server.  I found the
following message yesterday:

ANR0830W Management class JLMC in domain IM_SECURITY used by node YEN in file
space YEN_C is no longer active, or no longer has a BACKUP copy group: DEFAULT
management class attributes will be used for expiration.

(I found this for another node as well.)  Both nodes were originally in
another policy domain; I had reassigned them by changing the domain in the
node properties book under the admin client.  The message is correct in that
the JLMC management class existed under the origial domain, and not in the new
domain; however I am relatively certain that neither node actually used the
JLMC management class.  When we added the new management class we did see
rebinding messages in the scheduler logs for these machines, but again the new
node did not use the new managemet class.

Questions:

1.  Is this a bug, or a feature?

2.  Is there anyway to tell if someone is using a particular management class.
 The Query Managementclass tells me about the classes within a domain, but not
who is using them.  BTW - the results of this command show that JLMC is not a
default class, so I assume that one must explicitly state that they want to
use this class to get it in the first place.

3.  Short of defining a class called JLMC in the new domains, is there any way
to surpress the message?  It shows up in the log each time they do an
incremental backup.  Will changing the grace period in the Policy domain have
any effect?

Jerry Lawson