ADSM-L

Re: Move&Rename

1996-04-26 18:05:09
Subject: Re: Move&Rename
From: Wendy Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:05:09 EDT
Susie McClure said:
>I am running ADSM/VM backing up a MAC 7.5 system.  The mac is also
>acting as a "mini fileserver" and as such apparently has occasion to
>create a hidden file sometimes called " ....  Move&Rename" where the
>...  is some weird characters.
>
>When ADSM tries to back this file up it seems to fail...  but it won't
>skip it and move on to others.  How do I make ADSM ignore the file (it
>is old temp type data or invalid data) and move on and finish the rest
>of the backup...

I've backed up that file many times (in System 7.1) successfully.  Then
I got tired of backing up a temp file daily, so I added it to the
Exclude list in our local default ADSM Preferences file.  So I've never
tried backing it up since I've had System 7.5 installed.

You can get around it by excluding the file in ADSM Preferences.

To solve the underlying problem, it sounds like there is something
wrong with that file. Run Norton or other diagnostics against it.
Unfortunately I don't know any way to Find and trash that file -
maybe someone else on this list or on a Mac newsgroup does.

Wendy Alberg                      Phone:  607/255-2672
Network & Computer Systems        Fax:    607/255-6523
Cornell Information Technologies  E-mail: wa10 AT cornell DOT edu
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY    WWW:    http://dwrgi.cit.cornell.edu/