ADSM-L

More connection timeouts

1996-04-24 21:21:23
Subject: More connection timeouts
From: Joe Morris <morris AT UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 21:21:23 -0400
Tried to put aload o the server this evening to see how it holds up under
some pressure from concurrent backups.  My system did not fair too well.
I had a Solaris, SunOS, and a WinNT client all performing backups
simultaneously.  There were some long gaps in the streaming of data.  I
was constantly bombarded by dialog boxes informing that it was waiting on
media while other clients were happily sending files.  Eventually they
would pick-up again, and then slowdown to an almost standstill.

Came back this evening to check on things only to discover that the
Solaris and WinNT aborted with communication timeouts.  The other client
was still going and finally finished.  The timeout is currently 60 seconds
which I think is more than reasonable.  Almost seems like the same problem
I had with Novell except it happened a lot faster.

Am I missing something that should be set on the server?  This is getting
rather frustrating.  If I can't get 3 backups to cooperate, how in the
world will I get 100 hosts backed-up overnight?

Joe Morris - morris AT unc DOT edu - http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
OIT/Computing Systems, Development