ADSM-L

offsite volumes

1996-04-24 20:21:33
Subject: offsite volumes
From: Tom Molnar <molnar AT UTCC.UTORONTO DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:21:33 -0400
Well, my previous question never got a reply, so I'll try again in a different
way.

Our pre-ADSM practice for disaster recovery was to take each night's backup
tape offsite and bring the previous day's back onsite.   How can I do this
efficiently with ADSM?

We paid big bucks for a 3494 tape library and two 3590 tape drives.  We're
backing up systems with a total of 160 GB storage, of which about 40-60 GB
changes each day.

So far, from what I have gathered from the docs, I would have to make
copies of the ADSM database, the log, device configuration files, and
the primary storage pool, etc.  Our primary storage pool includes the
3590 tapes in the tapepool.  In order to make a copy to take offsite,
I've created a copy storage group.  But all I can do is make a copy of
everything in the tapepool, and that's a lot of data.  It doesn't appear
to be practical to do that every day since it takes hours for the copy to
be made.

Can anyone suggest a strategy for daily offsite storage?  Ideally, only
the application database files need to be taken offsite daily.  The rest
can be done weekly.

Thanks in advance,
Tom