ADSM-L

write protection on REG.DAT

1996-04-24 14:27:25
Subject: write protection on REG.DAT
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:27:25 EDT
Has anyone else run into the following problem when trying to install
ADSM on a Windows 3.1 system?

When attempting to install ADSM, it creates the icons for the backup and
the scheduler.  And then, it attempts to update REG.DAT.  The installer
gets a bad return code and quits.  It turns out that the file (REG.DAT)
is write protected (as determined by trying to write to the file using
various Windows utilities such as REGEDIT).  If you drop back to a DOS
session, the file appears to NOT be write protected.  If you rename
REG.DAT and start up Windows without one, Windows will create a REG.DAT
and the new file is also write protected.  The only clue we have is that
Norton anti-Virus utilities are installed, but commented out of CONFIG.SYS
and AUTOEXEC.BAT.  We think perhaps Norton might go out and diddle
something that causes REG.DAT to become write-protected (at least from
Windows).

Thanks in advance,
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601