ADSM-L

Re: NetWare client Domain question

1996-04-24 08:09:37
Subject: Re: NetWare client Domain question
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 05:09:37 PDT
Jerry Lawson queries:

>The problem is a CD/ROM drive in the Server - it had a CD in it, and no Domain
>statement in the  DSM.OPT.  I assumed (yes, I know) that it would be handled
>in the same manner as a CD on a desktop machine - that is not backed up.
>Unfortunately, I was wrong, and we attempted to back it up.  We changed the
>DSM.OPT to say "Domain ALL-LOCAL", but with the same result.  I know the
>solution - code the DOMAIN statement with the Disk volumes only, but I am not
>fond of this approach as it is another potential point of error - if a
>customer adds a vol, he must remember to change the domain statement, or he
>has no backup (or he can make a typo, etc.)
>
>The bottom line - don't I remember a fix in a Version 1. release of the
>NetWare client that was supposed to handle the CD/ROM as a non-local device?
>Or am I hallucinating again?

Jerry, this was addressed to some extent in APAR IC07959, PTF IP20265.
According to the APAR (and I quote):

     "Unfortunately, SMS considers even hard disks as removable.
     Therefore, the current information returned in the query for
     type of volume SMS provides backup companies like ourselves is
     not going to help. Originally, we thought that by querying the
     type of device, we could avoid counting CD drives as part of
     all-local. But, the information returned from the query is the
     same, ie IsRemovable is true for all volumes.

     "This question will be raised to the SMS developer, until SMS
     differentiates between hard drives and CD mounted volumes, ADSM
     can't."

But they did get a fix in place, provided that you use CDROM.NLM to mount
the CD-ROMs:

     "This fix only works if the CD ROM drive is mounted using
     Novell's CDROM.NLM.  If the CD ROM drive is mounted by another
     method then it will be backed up with DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL."

I don't know how they got this to work; whether Novell put something into
their SMS that tells you it's a CD-ROM (provided you're using CDROM.NLM) or
if ADSM development found a work-around.

Lastly, I *strongly* recommend keeping up to date with ADSM maintenance, both
client and server. If you don't want to rush into putting the latest & greatest
on as soon as it comes out, at least try to stay no more than one level back.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130