ADSM-L

Re: Acceptance (Was support ADSM)

1996-04-23 10:38:15
Subject: Re: Acceptance (Was support ADSM)
From: "Andreas.Floeter" <Andreas.Floeter AT AIRBUS DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:38:15 +0200
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Dirk Kastens wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Figuring out how to set up and configure the ADSM server is extremely
> > complex !  The documentation that's delivered with ADSM just doesn't
> > explain "HOW TO" in 25 simple steps.  This initial barrier is probably
>
> I can only second that. I'm just teaching myself how to set up an
> ADSM server and I have to cross-read all the manuals at once.
> I first installed the hardware devices (tape drive and library) and
> obviously my first wish was to see if they work correctly with ADSM.
> This is explained in chapter 9 of the Administrator's Guide not in
> the Installing the Server manual. The installation manual is talking
> about the database, recovery log and storage pools, when the reader
> doesn't have the slightest idea of what this is.
> Now I'm writing my own manual because I have to teach our operators how
> to use ADSM.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
> Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
> Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
> Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
> 49069 Osnabrueck
> Germany

I only can second this too. We are looking at ADSM with several people
trying to get it operational, both MVS and Unix experts and it gives us a
very hard time. The information you need for a stable operation is
cluttered over many places and you really need somebody ADSM experienced to
help you. But we had this discussion already in this mailing lists asking
for free Red Books. Looking from the perspective of a  Unix
administrator, the software looks quite unstructured.

To make ADSM more easy to work with and especially to start with, I see a
major afford IBM has to spend in the near future.
If an operating system would be so complex nobody would use a Unix
or Windows system.

Regards,

        Andreas Floeter
Disclaimer: These are my views and not those of my employer.

                        Andreas Floeter
Phone: +49 40 74 37 - 48 50     FAX: +49 40 74 37 - 27 55 (or 47 60)
email: Andreas.Floeter AT airbus DOT de

                Daimler-Benz Aerospace Airbus GmbH
Kreetslag 10, 21129 Hamburg; Postfach 95 01 09, 21111 Hamburg, Germany