ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Win NT Client Problem

1996-04-18 08:20:35
Subject: Re: ADSM Win NT Client Problem
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 05:20:35 PDT
Tammi Belcher asks:

>We are running an MVS ADSM server, version 2.  The client is a Win NT running
>ADSM Version 2.1.03.  The client has remotely attached DOS drives.  The
>backups run successfully.  When the DOS drives are restored, the files
>appear to be restored correctly, however an error message 'access denied'
>appears in the restore window.  I can't seem to find any reference to
>this situation in any documentation.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tammi, 'Access denied' usually means that some other program has the file open
in a manner that prevents other applications from opening it (including ADSM).
You may also see this during backups. A few examples I know of in the case of
backup include Microsoft Mail, Lotus Organizer, and Ecco files. These products
open their files with a SHARE=NO or DENY_READ (or whatever you want to call it)
flag set, so no other application can open them for read access. Thus ADSM
can't back them up because it can't read them, and you'll get the 'access
denied' message. I suspect in the case of your restore that you are seeing
something similar: an application has the file open and ADSM isn't being
allowed to open that file for 'write' (in which case, you probably want to be
wary of over-writing it, anyway).

Another possibility is that the file has the 'read only' attribute set. There
is a replace option called 'ALL' that will allow read only files to be
restored.

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support