ADSM-L

copy storage groups

1996-04-17 13:36:02
Subject: copy storage groups
From: Tom Molnar <molnar AT UTCC.UTORONTO DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:36:02 -0400
I'm quite new to working with ADSM, and I'd appreciate some help.

We're using a wide node of an SP2 as an ADSM server and have two
3590 drives in a 3494 automated tape library.  I'd like to figure out
how to make a copy of the active files only in the primary storage pool
onto a second set of tapes in order to move the copy offsite.

I have created a copy storage pool to allow me to make a copy of data
and then export the volumes.

What I have done as a test is to backup a client, moved the data from
the primary storage pool (disk) to tape (3590), and then issued the
command "backup stgpool tapepool copystgpool".  Looking at the usage
stats, *everything* in the tapepool has been backed up (as one would
expect I suppose).  Is this necessary?  I'd like to keep the number of
tapes exported to a minimum -- I only need the active copy of the backed
up files.  When we go production, the tapepool will hold many Gigabytes
of data (several copies of monster databases).  I'd like to export only
a single copy.  We do this on a regular basis as  a limited form of
disaster recovery.

Thanks,
Tom