ADSM-L

running multiple schedules

1996-04-17 12:43:27
Subject: running multiple schedules
From: "Jim Smith (276-7618)" <spikes AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:43:27 PDT
>I am having problem finishing my unix backup within the backup window.
>Can any body tell me how can I run multiple ADSM schedules concurently.
>At this time I am using crontab but, this is not a good idea since a
>failure will be the end of the day for the backup.  The backup does not
>finish within the backup window due to the number of filesystems we have
>in our file servers.  HELP Please.

If you are using a V2 server, you can set-up a schedule with an ACTION
of "command" and an OBJECT of a script file.

In this script file, you can code your incremental commands:

   dsmc incremental /home -pass=xxxx
   dsmc incremental /usr  -pass=xxxx
   dsmc incremental /var  -pass=xxxx

... etc.

If you are using a V1 server, you would have to set-up a schedule
for one of the file systems (ie incremental /home), and then code
   PRESCHED <name of script file>
in DSM.OPT.  The PRESCHED command will cause ADSM to run the script
file before the scheduled backup of /home.  Set-up the script file
as above, but don't code the /home filespace (since it is being
handled by the scheduled backup ...)

Jim Smith
ADSM client development