ADSM-L

Re: end-of-volume errors

1996-04-16 15:48:27
Subject: Re: end-of-volume errors
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 15:48:27 EDT
From: Mike Knight, DCS-East, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                       KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

 On Tue 16 Apr 1996, Paul Zarnowski asked:

>>    ... have said the problem is down-level microcode in the 8500C drives.
>>    Apparently brand new drives come at level 730 but the latest code is 7J0.
>
>Can you tell me how to determine which microcode level a drive has?

There are two options:
  - Open the library, get a mirror and flashlight to try and read the label off
    the drive.  For example:  FECODE   8CC-0730
  - Try the following AIX trace:
      + trace -3
      +     -> trcon
      + Start some ADSM activity to the drive, like a MOVE DATA
      + Cancel the ADSM activity
      +     -> trcoff
      + trcrpt -t /usr/lpp/adsmserv/ps_format.trc /var/adm/ras/trcfile.3 > file
      + Search the file for dd_check_condition
      + Look for a nearby string like EXB8500C8CQANXR40730
      + The last four digits are supposed to be the microcode level.

I have not personally tried the trace, so this may not be exactly correct.

       Mike (not ADSM support) Knight