ADSM-L

Re: Amount of knowledge needed for support

1996-04-15 12:59:31
Subject: Re: Amount of knowledge needed for support
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:59:31 EDT
Eric,

I think it is true that some amount of knowledge is needed about client
operating systems, in order to support ADSM on them.  Internals knowledge
may not be required, but something more than just starting/stopping/
installing is needed.  Let me give you some examples based on our
experiences:

MacOS: older versions of MacTCP have memory leaks.  This is now documented
  in the ADSM readme file, but it wasn't always.  Also, OpenTransport, the
  successor to MacTCP has numerous problems.  Users will run into these,
  and often complain that "ADSM isn't working".

NetWare: Patches are needed.  Different patches, depending on which
  version of NetWare you're using.  If the end user doesn't know how to
  apply patches, you will get called in to help.  Or, the user will simply
  ignore the patches, and you will get called because ADSM doesn't work.

NetWare: User loses a hard disk and wants to restore it with ADSM.
  How do they do it?  This isn't documented in the Users Guide, so you
  get called in.  You must understand BINDERY and/or NDS issues, etc.

Unix:  User complains that their archived files aren't there anymore.
  Turns out that the user did a "DSMC ARCHIVE DELETE - PICK *"
  They intended to select files to delete, from a list.  What they
  actually did was to delete all of their files.  Thus, you must be aware
  of how Unix works to some degree to figure out what the user did wrong.

Any:  User has networking configuration problem (e.g., bad netmask).
  They complain that "ADSM doesn't work".  You get to diagnose their
  networking setup for them.

This list is a pretty good place for finding answers to these types of
questions, but of course answers are not guaranteed.  Like any service,
the better/more staff you have to support it, the better it will be.
One approach might be:  Here it is, use it if you can.  If you can't
then don't bother us - we can't help you.  This wouldn't fly at our site,
but maybe it would at yours?

Hope this helps.
..Paul