ADSM-L

Amount of knowledge needed for support

1996-04-15 13:38:00
Subject: Amount of knowledge needed for support
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:38:00 +0100
Hello all!
I am currently trying to persuade my management into evaluating ADSM.
The problem they see is that when we offer our customers a decental storage
solution, we are also responsible for the ADSM client software. Of course this
is correct, but they are afraid that this will mean that the support personnel
also should have al lot of knowledge about the client operating system.
Because decentral platforms are usually located at the user end they are likely
to be modified by the user (applications added, ini files modified etc.). Does
anybody have some experience with the impact of such actions on the operation
of the ADSM client?
I hope to hear some opinions about the degree of knowledge that is necessary
for ADSM support personnel to successfully support the different client
platforms.
For instance, should they just be able to start/stop the operating system and
know how to install software, or does one require more knowledge about the
internals of the operating system?
I know this is a rather difficult question to answer, but any suggestions are
very welcome!
Please mail me at evanloon AT klm DOT nl
Thanks!
Eric van Loon