ADSM-L

Restoring empty directories

1996-04-10 15:39:30
Subject: Restoring empty directories
From: LAbbinante <LAbbinante AT UAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:39:30 -0500
Has anyone run into the problem of ADSM not restoring empty directories
on HP-UX. (like in a recovery situation when the filesysems are being
restored from scratch)  It seems as though it will back them up (i.e. Q
B -DIRS * ) but whenever you try to restore a directory that had no
files within them, you will get an error message saying 'no files
matching search criteria.'   Even though the directory may be empty at
that point in time that doesn't mean that it should not be eligible to
be restored since it may get written to in the future.
Along the same lines, I think maybe the problem with the permissions
integrity ties into this somehow.  I've found that when a directory is
deleted (along with the files within it) and restored, the files retain
their same permissions as when they were backed up, however the
directory's permissions get changed to: d- - - - - - - - - -
(no access at all?).  Has anyone seen a PTF to address either of these
problems.
Thanks......

L. Abbinante
labbinante AT ual DOT com