ADSM-L

Problem with ADSM Lotus Notes Agent

1996-04-04 12:39:25
Subject: Problem with ADSM Lotus Notes Agent
From: "Masada, D.N. (8-276-7517)" <masada AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:39:25 PST
>We have just installed the Lotus Notes Agent on our OS/2 workstation
>which runs Lotus notes.
>We have attemped to run an incremental back using the following
>command.
>
>from an OS/2 line command:  dsmnotes incr c:\notes3\notes\*.nsf -
>mountwait=no -adsmpw=xxxx (using our correct password).
>
>We are getting the following error and not backup is kicked off.
>
>DSMINIT FAILED RC=2220
>LNCONNECT ADSM FAILED RC=2
>
>We have set up the DSM.OPT file correctly as far as we know.

     I have three comments.

1) I think you are on the right track in checking your dsm.opt
file. The Notes Agent communcates with the ADSM server through
the ADSM API. The ADSM API uses a dsm.opt file that is different
from the one used for the ADSM client (the contents may be very
similar, but the location of the dsm.opt file is different). Please
make sure that the DSMI_CONFIG variable in your config.sys file
is set to the correct path of your ADSM API dsm.opt file.
(As I am writing this, I see that Andy Raibeck has already addressed
this topic -- Thanks Andy)

2) This second comment is unsolicited, but you'll want to know that the
syntax of your path should be altered. If you want to backup all the Notes
databases in c:\notes3\notes, you probably want the following syntax:

  dsmnotes incr -mountwait=no -adsmpw=xxx c:\notes3\notes\*

     The NSF suffix is unnecessary, since dsmnotes will pick out
the valid Notes databases from a directory.

3) A final comment is that you might want to experiment first with
a single database, rather than with wildcarding, so you can see
if this type of backup is suitable for your databases.

Debbie Masada
ADSM development