ADSM-L

Missing files on restore

1996-04-04 12:19:20
Subject: Missing files on restore
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:19:20 EST
Hi folks!

I'm running some performance tests with ADSM backing up a NetWare 3.12 server
to both MVS and AIX to see which platform provides the best throughput.
I backed up a directory which contained 5,537 files and consumed exactly
377,031,144 bytes (I got this from the DOS dir /s command).

When I ran the backup to MVS the ending statistics were:
  files inspected: 5537
  files backed up: 5531
  failures: 0

My first question is why were 6 files not backed up?  Were these 0 length
files?  What else causes ADSM to not backup a file?

I then deleted the entire directory tree and ran a restore.  Another dir /s
command shows only 5,530 files, but still consuming 377,031,144 bytes.  My
second question is what happened to 1 file?

Has anyone else encountered this?  I'm sure there's a good reason, I just
don't know what it is.  Any explanations are sure welcome.

Thanx!

Jeff Renicker
jrenicker AT vnet.ibm DOT com