ADSM-L

Re: ADSM deadlock on ADIC 1200C...

1996-04-02 09:40:13
Subject: Re: ADSM deadlock on ADIC 1200C...
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:40:13 +0200
On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Martin Wendel wrote:

> I'm trying to connect an ADIC 1200C (single drive, 12x4mm tape library)
> to our ADSM server. It seems ADSM is too optimistic about the time it
> takes for the drive to unmount a tape. When trying to do a dsmlabel
> operation the following happens:
>
> 1. The library loads the tape into the drive.
> 2. ADSM labels the tape, OK.
> 3. The drive starts to unmount the tape.
> 4. 2 seconds later the library arm tries to unload the tape back into the
>    magazine. The tape is still in the drive, however, so the situation calls
>    for manual intervention. The library is now deadlocked.

We had the same problem with our ADIC1200 changer. The solution is
to set all jumpers on the tape drive (our ADIC came with a HP C1533A)
to the ON-position. After we did that, everything went well.
You have to open the changer and use a long and thin screwdriver to
reach the jumpers on top of the drive.

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany