ADSM-L

Re: many files

1996-03-26 18:23:56
Subject: Re: many files
From: Peter Jansen <pep AT CUCI DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 00:23:56 +0100
At 14:04 15-03-96 EST, you wrote:
>  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
>
>           We have an ADSM client for which we're trying to get a
>successful backup...we never have...to date. The problem is: the directory
>has some 31,000 FILES in addition to 35 subdirectories (each subdirectory
>has from 3-100 files).  When trying to do the backup, ADSM is trying to
>generate his list of all these files BUT then that node's session TIMES
>OUT (currently our IDLETIMEOUT parameter is set to 30 minutes, and this
>coming weekend it will be increased to 60 minutes because of this node).
>*** Does anyone have a similar problem with many many files and how do
>you handle it? ***

We've had a similar problem. We had nodes with up to 400.000 !!! files to
backup. Beside the time it took to backup it boosted our database..
We came up with the following two solutions (by the way, it are AIX clients)
1. first create a tar file of everything and then backup this tarfile. Not
so elegant, but good for your adsm database and for your backup time.
2. Same as your problem the directories consisted of a lot of subdirectories
with again some files inside. so we do the following :
  find /directory_to_be_backed up -type d -print >
/wherever_you_put_the_output/...
  for dir in `cat /wherever_you_put_the_output/...`
  dsmc sel/inc $dir with options and so on
  done

because it now isn't necessary to use the -su=yes option, performance will
be far better and you probably won't have timeouts...