ADSM-L

Re: RS/6000, SSA, db performance

1996-03-26 11:05:25
Subject: Re: RS/6000, SSA, db performance
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:05:25 EST
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996 15:55:16 +0000 Sheelagh Treweek said:
>Tim, The only penalty in using SSA today for ADSM DB is that performance
>seems adversly affected by the lack of a write cache. We did a lot of
>timings last year and concluded that until the RAID adapters are available,
>with cache, then the DB was better on 7137. For the recovery log it made
>no difference : SSA or 7137, both are very similar. Maybe you don't have the
>option of DB on 7137?

Sheelagh,

Can you quantify how much the write cache in the 7137 helps?  Also, when
you tried the 3137 which RAID version did you use (i.e., 0 or 5)?  Any
other details you can share would be greatly appreciated!

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601