ADSM-L

Re: ADSM - HP/UX Install

1996-03-26 03:34:21
Subject: Re: ADSM - HP/UX Install
From: "Andreas.Floeter" <Andreas.Floeter AT AIRBUS DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:34:21 +0200
On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Diane Brennan wrote:

> Hi - I'm new to this and I have a question.

Hi Diane,

> My HP/UX administrator believes that ADSM should be installed in
> the /user directory and not in a subdirectory hanging off the
> /usr directory.  We are new to the HP/UX environment, as well as
> ADSM, and would like to know what more experienced administrators
> have done.  Thanks in advance.

System administration philosophy is to separate the data according to
their type, e.g. user data in separated from invariant software
packages. So clearly ADSM should not be installed in the /user
directory. Additionally, /usr is for the operating system. To separate
the pure operating system from add-on package the Unix comunity invented
/usr/local (modern filesystem standard try to establish /local). The way
ADSM installs the executables is also very common to put it into a
directory which is in the common search path.

My suggestion is the following, create a partion /export/apps were you
keep add-on packages. If you use the automounter use the mount point
/apps. Move the ADSM executables to the location
e.g. /export/apps/adsm.2.v1.l2 an create a symbolic link to from /usr to
this directory.

> PS - Does anyone know of a list such as this for HP/UX?
>
> Diane Brennan
> Deltanet, Inc.
> Rancho Cordova, CA
> internet: DBrennan AT dnet.delta DOT org

Hope that helps,

        Andreas

Disclaimer: These are my views and not those of my employer.

                        Andreas Floeter
Phone: +49 40 74 37 - 48 50     FAX: +49 40 74 37 - 27 55 (or 47 60)
email: Andreas.Floeter AT airbus DOT de

                Daimler-Benz Aerospace Airbus GmbH
Kreetslag 10, 21129 Hamburg; Postfach 95 01 09, 21111 Hamburg