ADSM-L

Dismount exit and AS OF restore

1996-03-11 08:19:25
Subject: Dismount exit and AS OF restore
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 05:19:25 PST
One question Lisa Baas asked (of several) was:

>I few weeks back, I had a need to restore client files as of a certain
>date. The user said "They were ok when I left Wed night, but today
>(Friday) they're messed up." I knew that the file server had crashed
>on Thursday and that the user had been logged on and working at the
>time. (The files in question reside on a Novell file server.) We
>decided to restore his files as they existed at the time of the
>Thursday 1am backup since his files on the Friday backup would most
>likely be corrupt. I searched the manual for a way to do this
>automatically but ended up picking the files manually, which was
>rather tedious. What I would like is a restore command that says
>"Please restore directory xyz as it existed on xx/xx/xx." Possible?

The answer to this is "yes and no". A true point-in-time restore does not
exist, although IBM is well aware of the requirement. However, the RESTORE
command now includes the filters -TODATE=mm/dd/yyyy and -FROMTIME=hh:mm which
will restore the newest backup versions created on or before the specified
date and time. You should probably include the -INACTIVE option as well, or
else only active backup versions will be considered for restore.

This is not a true point-in-time restore, since it doesn't really restore the
files to the state they were in as of the specified date and time. Rather, it
will restore *all* eligible versions, even if the files had been deleted from
the client well before the specified date and time. For example, if you
deleted the file ABC.TXT on Wednesday morning, ran incremental backups on
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evening, then wanted to restore the directory
as of Thursday's date, ABC.TXT would still be restored even though it was
deleted from the client Wednesday morning.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130