ADSM-L

Dismount exit and AS OF restore?

1996-03-09 00:03:55
Subject: Dismount exit and AS OF restore?
From: Lisa Baas <lbaas AT MSAC.MTSAC DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 00:03:55 EST
If these features already exist, please consider the following a
display of my ignorance and a plea for help. Otherwise, please
consider the items as suggestions for future versions...

Question/suggestion 1:

I'm in need of some way to close the tape dataset when the ADSM server
(VM) dismounts a tape. Our tape management system (Legent EPIC/CMS)
doesn't consider the dataset valid until the application issues a
close. If an operator mounts a newly created ADSM tape as a scratch
tape for another job, the tape is overwritten because EPIC still
thinks it's scratch. We've lost several tapes this way. Our previous
tape management system (CA DYNAM) would automatically close a dataset
after a certain period, but it appears that EPIC doesn't have this
feature.

I'm currently doing a couple of things to get around the problem. One
is to issue an EPIC catalog management command to close the dataset
before the mount if the volid isn't SCRTCH. I have to do this because
EPIC won't recognize the dataset until it's been closed after the
first use. If the request is for SCRTCH, I open, close and re-open to
get the dataset name in the EPIC catalog. Actually, the first open
gets the dataset in the catalog, but EPIC still considers the volume
scratch until the close.

Perhaps this is something I should take up with Legent, but a user
exit called when ADSM dismounts a tape would be a good thing.

Question/suggestion 2:

I few weeks back, I had a need to restore client files as of a certain
date. The user said "They were ok when I left Wed night, but today
(Friday) they're messed up." I knew that the file server had crashed
on Thursday and that the user had been logged on and working at the
time. (The files in question reside on a Novell file server.) We
decided to restore his files as they existed at the time of the
Thursday 1am backup since his files on the Friday backup would most
likely be corrupt. I searched the manual for a way to do this
automatically but ended up picking the files manually, which was
rather tedious. What I would like is a restore command that says
"Please restore directory xyz as it existed on xx/xx/xx." Possible?

Question/suggestion 3:

A CMS client??!!!

Thanks.

Lisa Baas, Systems Programmer <lbaas AT msac.mtsac DOT edu>