ADSM-L

Re: Change of NetWare Supervisor password

1996-03-05 12:49:48
Subject: Re: Change of NetWare Supervisor password
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:49:48 -0500
Hmmm...

> Couple of thoughts....
>
> 1) Never tried this but, if the userid/password are the same on all the
> servers, is it possible to set the new password on one server then copy the
> encrypted *.PWD file to the other 25 servers ?

We thought of this about five minutes after I posted.  My NetWare
admin is trying it as I type.  I'll post the results here.

> 2) You could hardcode the userid/password in the DSM.OPT file using the
>  -nwuser option.

This was considered less secure by the higher ups but may be something
I revisit if nothing else pans out.

> 3) Set up a unique ADSM id with the appropriate access (i..e. supervisor
> equivalent in Netware 3.1x). This id could either have a nonexpiring
> password or would allow you to control when the password gets changed.  I
> finally convinced our Netware folks to do this and it has made my life
> easier.

_THIS_ sounds great!  I'll make this my prefered suggestion although
#1 above would be a great follow on for those times when we loose
someone with the adsm password.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Regards,
Chuck
---
Chuck Mattern           "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."
Chuck Mattern           "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."
Sr. Systems Engineer    -Friedrich Nietzsche-
cmattern AT homedepot DOT com
2455 Paces Ferry Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30339-4024
770-433-8211 ext 84446