ADSM-L

Plea for assistance with SCO ADSM client

1996-02-28 19:54:07
Subject: Plea for assistance with SCO ADSM client
From: Allan Tuchman <tuchman AT VIDDA.CSO.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:54:07 -0600
I am trying to run the SCO client for ADSM under BSD/OS (a Unix for
x86's from BSDI - Berkeley Software Design, Inc.).  I'm having some
success, but also, some rather bizzare behavior for which I provide
a specific example below in case anyone is curious about details.

What I need to verify now, however, is the format and content of SCO's
/etc/mnttab file.  If anyone running a true SCO Unix would be kind
enough to help provide these to me I would be most grateful.  In
particular, their 'mnttab' file seems to be different than other
System V-derived Unix's.  It would help to have a man page for
'mnttab', and whatever it might reference, such as an include file
with a structure (perhaps <mnttab.h>).  A sample copy of an /etc/mnttab
file might be nice also...  (If it's binary, I'd need it uuencoded.)

Thanks in advance,
-Allan
----- Example -----
----- Example -----
For example, I defined 3 directories to ADSM as Virtual mount points:
For example, I defined 3 directories to ADSM as Virtual mount points:

   VIRTUALM  /usr/adsm
   VIRTUALM  /var/serverdata
   VIRTUALM  /var/encode

ADSM does not complain about /usr/adsm, but doesn't like the other two,
 complaining rather crypticly

   ANS4931S File space /var/encode in System Options File is invalid.
   This File space is being ignored. Processing will attempt to continue.

for each.  The behavior is consistant for the directory names, regardless
of the order listed or whether I list them all in dsm.sys or just one
of them.  Permissions are identical.

*** This is all happening during option processing and verification of
    the options.  This is all WAY before the backup or connection
    to the remote backup server occurs.

I have actually tried defining about 40 directories now, and about
1/2 of them are quietly accepted, the rest cause the above error.  There
seems to be no pattern in the directory names that ADSM finds acceptable.

Allan Tuchman           University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
Allan Tuchman           University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
Sr Research Programmer  Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
tuchman AT uiuc DOT edu        Phone: 217-244-0048   Fax: 217-244-7089