ADSM-L

Re: Legato vs ADSM

1996-02-22 00:59:17
Subject: Re: Legato vs ADSM
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT CELLNET DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 21:59:17 PST
We run both.  Legato is great at creating write-only tapes.  We found this
out the hard way.  Parallel backups are the only way to go.  Legato is
adequate, however I would not bet the family jewels on it.  ADSM, in the
correct environment with the correct expectations is the superior product
in UNIX backups in my opinion.  The main drawback of ADSM is in handling
full backups of filesystems with large numbers of objects (500K-plus).  But,
it will do it.  Just throw enough CPU and memory at it and it works fine.

Mitch

>        We converted from LEGATO to ADSM about 18 months ago.  There were a
>
> number of reasons we cut over some of them are:        Better performance ---
>  our backup time was reduced by about half
> ADSM took full advantage of 3490 technology LEGATO would only use half of the
> cartridge.
> At the time ADSM could retain files that have been deleted off the system for
> 60 days -- (in our case) .  LEGATO wouldn't do this
> Restoring a file system is about 80% faster with ADSM over LEGATO
>
>     John O'Connell
>     Siemens ROLM Communications
>
> QUIT

Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Cellnet Data Systems                  FAX:       (415) 508-6700
125 Shoreway Road                     Pager:     (408) 989-3365
San Carlos, CA 94070                  email:     mitch AT cellnet DOT com
                                      personal:  msako AT netcom DOT com