ADSM-L

Query process/session

2015-10-04 18:16:47
Subject: Query process/session
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 2/20/96 3:00PM
The information you seek is scattered over several places......

Of course, you can do Q Session, and see if the session is still active (after
it has kicked off) - not very good.

You can do a Q Filespace (node) f=d and get a status for all of the filespaces
that have been backed up to ADSM.  This will include the start and end time
for the last backup of each filespace, and if the start date/time is after the
end date/time, then you know that it is either still underway, or failed.  (a
blank indicates that the initial did not complete).

You can do a  Q Schedule (sched name) f=d  to find out the status of the
schedule itself - each node that is covered by that schedule will be listed,
along with a status (complete, missed, failed, or future).  I believe this is
reset each day.

I do not know of any way to query a process that is no longer active, although
I routinely go into the activity log and search on the word "process".
However, I have found instances where a process is started, but a message is
not written to the log indicating such.

Of course, if you are using the scheduler, the ultimate answer for most of
this information is the DSMSCHED.LOG.  I have often given myself the ability
to restore the log to my machine so I can browse it, but unfortunately, since
I am reading the backup of the log, it stops at the point where ADSM is
backing it up - the more complete version is still on the client.  (And this
only works if your client knows the file format of the machine you are trying
to restore).  If you have a netware machine, you need to gain access to the di
rectory where ADSM is installed.  Perhaps you could FTP the files back to
you......

As for your files deleted question - if the process was the expiration
process, I do not know of any way to find out what was deleted.  If it is a
scheduled incremental backup that is discovering that you deleted files off of
your machine, then you will get "Expiring" messages in the DSMSCHED.LOG.  If
someone ran an on demand incremental, there are no messages.  I believe there
has been a requirement submitted to provide a log of this information.

Hope this helps.....

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com