ADSM-L

DB2/6000 V2 Backups

1996-02-19 11:23:51
Subject: DB2/6000 V2 Backups
From: Michel Gaillard <Michel.Gaillard AT VZ.CIT.ALCATEL DOT FR>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:23:51 +0100
Hello again,

Cyndie, thanks a lot for your answer to my remark concerning the new naming
convention of DB2
Backups in DB2/6000 V2 and the implication on ADSM.

I'm also glad to learn that a tool is distributed with DB2 V2 (in fact it is
distributed with
Version 2.1.1 and not 2.1.0; the one we have)

BUT I'm still thinking it's no good ...

The right place to expire "old" versions of files (and for me databases are
seen like any
other files) is in the ADSM server not on every client !

This way of handling backups versions from the client side will make work still
more difficult
for the ADSM administrator 'cause he's not supposed to have client access and
if the guy on
the client does not clean things up the storage on the server side is likely to
explode one
day !

It is of course a personal point of view and the way DB2 V1 was working was
pretty good in
this domain.

To add more on that, Redbooks are very good things but the fact that you have
to pay for them
, now, to know how something works is not such a good thing.

Cheers, Michel

--
Michel Gaillard
Michel Gaillard