ADSM-L

3490e Tape and ADSM

1996-02-15 11:17:25
Subject: 3490e Tape and ADSM
From: Todd Mitchell <mitcht AT MARSHILL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:17:25 -0500
I have a client that wants to use ADSM as follows:

1. Each evening backup all their Netware servers (around 10G worst case) to
disk storage pool(s).  They have an IBM 7137 with
20G of disk space.
2. During the day they would then like to move the disk storage pool
information to 3490 tape.  They have a 3490e with two
autoloaders.  The 3490e tapes are in use each night to backup the AS/400's (so
they are only available during the day).

My question: Does anyone have any advice for a setup like this?  I am used to
using 8mm tape libraries (exb10e) and this type
topology is new to me.  Also, they have around 8 Netware servers, would it be
best to setup disk storage pools for each, or
have a single large disk storage pool?  Is there a 2G limit to a storage pool?

PS. What are the procedures for moving the db.dsm and log.dsm files from the
/usr filesystem to another (ie: /adsm that would
be defined on the 7137 disk array - RAID 5 protection)?  This is a fresh
install, so losing any information at this point is
not a concern.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Todd Mitchell
mitcht AT marshill DOT com