ADSM-L

Re: ADSM hardware examples

1996-02-15 07:35:00
Subject: Re: ADSM hardware examples
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 07:35:00 EST
Hi,
     For Novell servers attached to the same 16 Mb Token Ring as one of our
3172-3's, the best thruput we've been able to attain is about 1.2 GB per
hour.  However, those are servers with larger average file sizes.  More
typical is 500-800 MB per hour for servers with smaller average file sizes.
 Restores are typically a little slower.. again, best we've been able to do
is about 800 MB an hour on a restore.
By the way, I haven't noticed any difference in thruput between 10 Mb
Ethernet and 16 Mb Token Ring  (we have both attachments into 3172-3s).

     From seeing the configuration you've documented, one thing you might
want to check is the TCP/IP configuration on your Novell servers.  By
default, Novell will set the maximum segment size (MSS) to 536 bytes when
it's sending TCP/IP packets thru a router or non local segment.  In Netware
3.12 and 4.x, it is possible to force TCP/IP to set it's MSS equal to the
outbound interface MTU by adding the following line to sys:\etc\tcpip.cfg

TcpMSSinternetlimit off

     This is documented in Novell TID # 1004825.  This change seems to have
helped some of our Netware clients who have to go thru routers to get to a
3172-3.

     Might also want to consider upgrading to the latest client level
(2.1.02)... there are supposed to be some performance enhancements for the
client (i.e. TCPIP buffering, etc.)

Good luck !!!

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com