ADSM-L

Client Disaster Recovery

1996-02-13 10:39:12
Subject: Client Disaster Recovery
From: "Thomas P. Hughes" <thughes AT POBOX.HARVARD DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:39:12 -0500
Hello...

How does one look at the archives of this list? I specifically would
like to look up archives on client disaster recovery. Just ran into
a bad situation and would like some clue as to how others are handling
disk crash recovery on unix platforms.

We had a 1.05GB disk fail, that was replaced. After the unix people got
the os and such up and running, I re-installed adsm client, 1.2.10, and
attempted to restore a director called /home. After waiting at least 45
minutes for -pi list to come up, I logged in as admin from another client
to look at the particulars for the domain/node I was trying to recover.

I was shocked to see:

adsm> q occ server

Node Name         Filespace    Storage      Number of       Space
                  Name         Pool Name        Files    Occupied
                                                             (MB)
----------------  -----------  -----------  ---------  ----------
server            /home        BKSERTAPE    1,008,761    4,789.12
server            /home        BKSERTAPE    1,008,761    4,789.12

Yep, over a million files!

I again tried just doing a straight res /home of all active files, but
after an hour and 45 min of what appeared to be no activity, (it got
to the point where the examined files had reached 7,000)I gave up and
went to the 8mm tape backup taken the night before for 'just in case'
reasons. 2 and 1/2 hours later, the directory was restored.

Is ADSM going to be useful as a disaster recovery tool for large clients?

Any pointers or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Tom Hughes
OIT - Harvard University