ADSM-L

Re: FW: Backup file cleanup

1996-02-12 08:36:40
Subject: Re: FW: Backup file cleanup
From: Mary Vollmer <Mary_Vollmer AT MGIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:36:40 EDT
Thanks for all your responses.

I'm going to try setting up a 'skeleton' Novell server, calling it the name of
the deleted server(s), and run an incremental against it.  If all goes as
planned, ADSM will mark all the backups for these nodes inactive and clean up
the backups as their retention requirements are met in the managment class
specifications.  Will let you know how this goes.

I can't use the new backups that have been created on the new servers because
some of the files that have a 7 year retention period have already been
deleted.  All we've got left of the data is the last inactive backup copy with
the 7 year retention.  I could identify all the backups that have an extended
retention, recover them to the new server, let them get backed up again and
then delete them but this is a manual process - error prone.

I expect that in the future our managment policies will become more complex.
The procedure you have helped put together will work for the long term.  Thanks
again.