ADSM-L

Re: ADSM OS/2 server questions

1996-02-09 12:10:57
Subject: Re: ADSM OS/2 server questions
From: Paul Beck <beckpau AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 22:10:57 +0500
>> Tim Pittson
>> pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com

Asked:

>>       We're looking at deploying ADSM at a remote
>> location as we are having a lot of problems
>> getting the backups finished using the existing
>> T1 connection between the sites.  I had some
>> questions about the ADSM server
>> running on OS/2....

>> 1) Can it run on OS/2 Warp or do I have to go with OS/2 2.1

   I have used it on both OS/2 V2.11 and OS/2 Warp, both server
(V1.2.9) and client (V2.1.2).

>>  2) I noticed that DLT is supported for ADSM on OS/2...
>> does anybody have this working... of particular
>> interest is whether or not the auto cartridge
>> loader units work (DLT2700 or DLT4700).

   I'll have to defer there - I've used standalone 8mm and 4mm, as
well as the Lago LS380/StorageTek 9711 8mm 265GB DataWheel library
with excellent results.

>> 3) Hardware configuration - while it'll only need to
>> handle about 5-7 clients (Novell 3.x, 4.x, and NT),
>> we'll be backing up about 3-4 GB of data every night.
>>  Also, it will need 2 network cards, one for Ethernet
>> and one for Token Ring.  Any ideas of how big I need
>> to configure this box (i.e. is 32 MB RAM enough or
>> should I go with more, is a Pentium 90 MHZ good enough
>> or should I go with a faster machine).

   Your processor (90MHz Pentium, with 32MB RAM) is plenty -
the most important characteristics aren't mentioned - the bus
structure and hard disk type/speed/capacity.  If you will truly
have to transfer up to 4GB of data over night, you will need quite
a bit of fast disk - from my testing, backups over a Token Ring
network, directly to tape ran around 150KB/minute, backup directly
to an optical library ran 700KB/min. and backup to a large, slow
(SDI MegaFlex) RAID-0 array ran at 17MB/min.  Using those figures,
it would take over 400 hours to back up 4GB directly to tape, over
90 hours directly to optical, and nearly 4 hours to magnetic disk.
Since the SDI MegaFlex RAID box is slower than most newer
independent drives, as long as you have enough hard drive space to
hold the nights backup data, you should be in good shape.

   I can't answer the multiple adaptor/protocol question.

   All of my clients are OS/2 LAN Server and Lotus Notes servers.

>>  4) Will ADSM Version 2 be made available on OS/2 and,
>>  if so, in what time frame ??

   I've been told that the ADSM/2 V2 server is under development
but, I haven't received word on a firm date - perhaps some of the
IBM folks will enlighten us both.

   Hope this helps.

Paul C. Beck
Manassas Systems Integration Corporation
Traveling at OS/2 Warp speed....