ADSM-L

ADSM on MVS vs AIX

1996-02-09 17:00:00
Subject: ADSM on MVS vs AIX
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 17:00:00 EST
Hi,
     We're in the process of looking at migrating ADSM from MVS to an
RS/6000.  I've noticed this topic being discussed by other folks and had a
few questions for anybody who's gone thru or is going thru this migration.
 We're currently running ADSM on a 3090-500J (about 21 MIPS per processor)
and are running into a lot of problems trying to complete our backups at
night.  With no background processes (migration, reclamation, etc.) running,
I've noticed that ADSM will take about 90-95% of a CPU during the
incremental backups (10-20 incrementals running at any given time).  It
seems to me that since ADSM cannot run on more than 1 processor that we're
running into a bottleneck with the speed of a single processor on a
3090-500J.  We're looking at migrating to an RS/6000 model R30 (2
processors).  I know it's comparing apples and oranges but will we be
getting more processing power per processor on an RS/6000 R30 than we
currently have on the 3090-500J ???  When we migrate, would it help much if
I split ADSM into 2 separate instances on the same RS/6000 box (our current
database is about 7 GB) ???

Thanks.
Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com