ADSM-L

Re: ADSM OS/2 server questions

1996-02-08 08:30:49
Subject: Re: ADSM OS/2 server questions
From: Jeffrey Mathers <matherj AT ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:30:49 +0000
Tim,

The runs quite well on  OS/2 Warp, provided you have the most recent
CSD's applied. Do not use Warp CSD #17. I have not gone beyond CSD
#10. Many of the recent fixpacks have had horrendous bug problems.

I'm not sure what tape devices are supported. We are using 8-mm
Exabyte tape drives. Device support was somewhat flakey when we
installed the server (8/95), but it should be cleared up by now.

Our server is a Pentium 100 MHz with 48MB of RAM and three 4GB SCSI
HD's. The system really screams and is probably overkill. We also run
Lan Server 4.0 concurrently with ADSM/2. We are performing mostly
file archival.

I would highly recommend that you use OS/2 Warp Connect as your base
system. Connect come with TCP/IP V3.0 and is much faster than the
version supplied with regular Warp.

After a shakey start, I really have come to like ADSM/2 very much.
There are some things that should be improved, but I am happy with
the stability and performance of the product.  Even under heavy loads
the system performs quite well.

Jeff Mathers
Computer Data Systems Manager
The Protein/DNA Technology Center